Re: Brake booster bypass

Legacy yahoo archive through 2019. Please don't post new topics here.

Moderator: forumadmin

Kurt

Brake booster bypass

Post by Kurt »

Okay I'll be the conspiracy theorist here, I would say all manufactures in all fields are know to install parts that are not necessarily needed for an item to function. It could have just been that;Mr. Honda's son could have been the lead engineer on the brake system when they were developing them and he wanted to get his product out. Or Honda at that time was new to the car industry and was copying what they saw on other car manufacturers???  All I know is that I've rebuilt four 600s over the last 15 years and the parts were not available at that time for the brake booster so it got bypassed. Now that the parts are available I would just buy the rebuild kit and leave it in the system.  I do live on flat land and I only drive my cars once a week up to the store and back.  I don't think I would be racing these bad boys through treacherous mountain roads anyways. 
I have never had my brakes act funny, lock up, or not stop do to the bypassing of the booster, but I also have never driven a 600 with the booster so I do not know what I'm missing either?? 
 Kurt
shdunnnm

Post by shdunnnm »

I am rebuilding the brake system on my N600.  The booster is completely bypassed.  Does anyone have a diagram (or photo) of the tubing connections from/to the booster?

Thanks!  Skip
shdunnnm

Post by shdunnnm »

BTW I have the middle-type Booster, and 3/4" master cylinder...
Miles Chappell #10321

Post by Miles Chappell #10321 »

Attachments :
  1. mc170a-15420.jpg
  1. booster1-15420.jpg
  1. 327a-15420.jpg
The one line that someone likely bent and screwed into the F port on your master cylinder goes to the OUT port of the booster - that's the one closest to the canister. There is a short tube that goes from the F port on the master to the IN port on the booster - that's the one closest to the front of the car.   Miles    
shdunnnm

Post by shdunnnm »

Miles, this is excellent; thanks so much.  Now I have one more question which maybe you can answer with another snapshot:  where does the booster vacuum hose (?) connect to the ?manifold??

Skip
Miles Chappell #10321

Post by Miles Chappell #10321 »

Attachments :
  1. 311-15422.jpg
Manifold has a fitting screwed into it at an angle facing the booster.   Miles
Linda

Re: Brake booster bypass [1 Attachment]

Post by Linda »

did you mean to send this to us?
did you get a chance to look at your stash of parts for what we need? we still are in need of: 4 valve cover collars 12904-5510010 and 1 valve cover gasket 12903-623-670 we have found everything else so far, thanks to you! thanks.   eric and Linda   From: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, August 16, 2015 2:13 AM To: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com Subject: [2cylinderhondas] Re: Brake booster bypass [1 Attachment]     Manifold has a fitting screwed into it at an angle facing the booster.   Miles
Linda

Re: Brake booster bypass [3 Attachments]

Post by Linda »

did you mean to send this to us?     From: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com Sent: Saturday, August 15, 2015 2:28 PM To: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com Subject: [2cylinderhondas] Re: Brake booster bypass [3 Attachments]     The one line that someone likely bent and screwed into the F port on your master cylinder goes to the OUT port of the booster - that's the one closest to the canister. There is a short tube that goes from the F port on the master to the IN port on the booster - that's the one closest to the front of the car.   Miles    
shdunnnm

Post by shdunnnm »

Thanks again for your reply - and for the excellent series of photos on rebuilding the booster.

One question leads to another:  The vacuum connector for the booster on the manifold of my car is being used for the vacuum timing advance (see picture). 

Now I wonder what the correct routing is for this vacuum timing advance tube: Can you help me?  Here are photos of the left and right sides of the carburetor: hope you can show me the connection:
shdunnnm

Post by shdunnnm »

Attachments :
  1. IMG_2572-15500.JPG
  1. IMG_2571-15500.JPG
  1. IMG_2570-15500.JPG
Oops- let me try attaching the three pictures again: