Re: Rechroming, anyone know of reasonable place?

Legacy yahoo archive through 2019. Please don't post new topics here.

Moderator: forumadmin

tgm_enterprizes

Rechroming, anyone know of reasonable place?

Post by tgm_enterprizes »

Here in Oklahoma probably like everywhere, the number of rechromers is almost nil. The one local place wants $1450.00 to do the front and rear bumpers on a coupe. I simply can t afford this and yet I have 2 beautiful coupes almost back on the road.
Does anyone know of a more reasonable chrome? What kind of prices should I expect? My bumpers require only rechroming, no straightening or other work needed.

Richard
Paige Hunt

Post by Paige Hunt »

Unfortunately,  due to the lack of competition,  they can charge pretty much whatever they want.  And, even more unfortunately,  they can do really crappy work. It all looks good at first, so you won't know they skipped a step or two, then it all goes south in less than 2 years.  California,  at least northern California,  is a prime example. 

Seeven from Yahoo Mail on Android
On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 11:04 am, tgm_enterprizes@... [2cylinderhondas] wrote:  
Here in Oklahoma probably like everywhere, the number of rechromers is almost nil. The one local place wants $1450.00 to do the front and rear bumpers on a coupe. I simply can t afford this and yet I have 2 beautiful coupes almost back on the road.
Does anyone know of a more reasonable chrome? What kind of prices should I expect? My bumpers require only rechroming, no straightening or other work needed.

Richard

#ygrps-yiv-1525973504
Chuck Dean

Post by Chuck Dean »

Hello,Do your bumpers need rechroming? If they are not rusted or if the chrome is not peeling off, you can do a lot with Simichrome polish.
My bumpers were dull and looked like they needed to be replaced, but after a couple of tubes and about 20 hours of sweatequity they are looking pretty good!At least it may hold you over until you can find a good rechromer.
B TW    have you looked into Mexico. I hear because their environmental laws are not as strict they can plate for less. 

Chuck  (mobile)Pleez x cuze enny tie ping or spelin air ores.
Our 1972 Honda 600 Coupe
Our 1961 Vespa 400
On Apr 30, 2019, at 11:02 AM, tgm_enterprizes@... [2cylinderhondas] wrote:

Richard
Bill

Post by Bill »

There are lots of shops just north of the US/Mexico boarder that do just that, but charge carrying fees.  Problem  is you never know what type of job your going to get.  Copper/Nickel/Chrome is best, but many shops skip the nickel plating…       From: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com [mailto: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com ]
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 3:19 PM
To: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [2cylinderhondas] Rechroming, anyone know of reasonable place?    
Hello, Do your bumpers need rechroming? If they are not rusted or if the chrome is not peeling off, you can do a lot with Simichrome polish.   My bumpers were dull and looked like they needed to be replaced, but after a couple of tubes and about 20 hours of sweatequity they are looking pretty good! At least it may hold you over until you can find a good rechromer.   B TW    have you looked into Mexico . I hear because their environmental laws are not as strict they can plate for less.  Chuck  (mobile) Pleez x cuze enny tie ping or spelin air ores.   Our 1972 Honda 600 Coupe   Our 1961 Vespa 400
On Apr 30, 2019, at 11:02 AM, tgm_enterprizes@... [2cylinderhondas] wrote:
  Here in Oklahoma probably like everywhere, the number of rechromers is almost nil. The one local place wants $1450.00 to do the front and rear bumpers on a coupe. I simply can’t afford this and yet I have 2 beautiful coupes almost back on the road.

Richard
tgm_enterprizes

Post by tgm_enterprizes »

I am not opposed to sending to Mexico or close to it as long as it s affordable (my plan is to get all chrome parts rechromed at once. I.e. bumper bolts, side marker surround and if possible, the round badges on the sides and whatever I am forgetting). I can handle something that is less than $500. It s been so long since I have had any rechroming done that I don t know it that s reasonable or not. I know $1450 for 2 bumpers isn t (in my mind).

That s why I am still asking if anyone has recently had parts played and what is the cost.

As mentioned, Mexico is fine, but I really need a lead on who to contact. Please, can anyone supply a phone number or website?

My 2 cars are nice enough that I want the new chrome look. As a stopgap, the simichrome route will have to do. One of these cars (orange) was dismantled by a Honda dealership with intention of making a show car. And I do mean dismantled ...
The other (blue) is a basically rust free car that was garaged for much of its life.
Both have completely rebuilt engines with new Arias pistons.
Thanks guys
Richard
Rick McClure

Post by Rick McClure »

Richard what part of Oklahoma are you in. I live in Tecumseh. I have a orange coupe myself. 
I purchased my coupe for a Honda dealer about 10 years back. I am close to finishing mine. Thanks. Rick 
Sent from my iPhone
On Apr 30, 2019, at 7:23 PM, tgm_enterprizes@... [2cylinderhondas] wrote:

I am not opposed to sending to Mexico or close to it as long as it s affordable (my plan is to get all chrome parts rechromed at once.. I.e. bumper bolts, side marker surround and if possible, the round badges on the sides and whatever I am forgetting). I can handle something that is less than $500. It s been so long since I have had any rechroming done that I don t know it that s reasonable or not. I know $1450 for 2 bumpers isn t (in my mind).

That s why I am still asking if anyone has recently had parts played and what is the cost.

As mentioned, Mexico is fine, but I really need a lead on who to contact. Please, can anyone supply a phone number or website?

My 2 cars are nice enough that I want the new chrome look. As a stopgap, the simichrome route will have to do. One of these cars (orange) was dismantled by a Honda dealership with intention of making a show car. And I do mean dismantled ...
The other (blue) is a basically rust free car that was garaged for much of its life.
Thanks guys
Richard
dusty path

Post by dusty path »

why not powder coat  them  they make a thing that looks  like chrome  and thats lots  cheaper  then chroming 
On Tuesday, April 30, 2019, 8:23:10 PM EDT, tgm_enterprizes@... [2cylinderhondas] wrote:

I am not opposed to sending to Mexico or close to it as long as it s affordable (my plan is to get all chrome parts rechromed at once.. I.e. bumper bolts, side marker surround and if possible, the round badges on the sides and whatever I am forgetting). I can handle something that is less than $500. It s been so long since I have had any rechroming done that I don t know it that s reasonable or not. I know $1450 for 2 bumpers isn t (in my mind).

Thanks guys
Richard #ygrps-yiv-1509684284
Kenneth Sievert

Post by Kenneth Sievert »

The bumper overriders for my sedan were re-plated by Streamwood Plating about 20 years ago. I don't remember the exact cost, it wasn't cheap but wasn't too bad. The quality of work was excellent and has certainly withstood the test of time. Their web address: streamwoodplating.com

Streamwood Platting

On Wednesday, May 1, 2019, 6:36:54 AM CDT, dusty path dustyspath@... [2cylinderhondas] wrote:

why not powder coat  them  they make a thing that looks  like chrome  and thats lots  cheaper  then chroming 
On Tuesday, April 30, 2019, 8:23:10 PM EDT, tgm_enterprizes@... [2cylinderhondas] wrote:

I am not opposed to sending to Mexico or close to it as long as it s affordable (my plan is to get all chrome parts rechromed at once... I.e. bumper bolts, side marker surround and if possible, the round badges on the sides and whatever I am forgetting). I can handle something that is less than $500. It s been so long since I have had any rechroming done that I don t know it that s reasonable or not. I know $1450 for 2 bumpers isn t (in my mind).

Thanks guys
Richard
Fox William W

Re: [External] Re: [2cylinderhondas] Rechroming, anyone know of reas

Post by Fox William W »

Try Hanlon in Richmond Va.. Really fair  Bill
From: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com on behalf of Paige Hunt paigewhunt@... [2cylinderhondas]
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 3:45:36 PM
To: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [External] Re: [2cylinderhondas] Rechroming, anyone know of reasonable place?

Unfortunately,  due to the lack of competition,  they can charge pretty much whatever they want.  And, even more unfortunately,  they can do really crappy work. It all looks good at first, so you won't know they skipped a step or two, then it all goes south in less than 2 years.  California,  at least northern California,  is a prime example. 

Seeven from Yahoo Mail on Android

Richard

** This email originated from an EXTERNAL sender  to CHOP.  Proceed with caution when replying, opening attachments, or clicking links.  Do not disclose your CHOP credentials, employee information, or protected health information to a potential hacker**.
karlmunson

Post by karlmunson »

Chrome plating is a dying art - very few vendors anymore due to environmental concerns (chrome plating uses all sorts of nasty chemicals) and skilled manual labor to polish and prep.  Last year I paid $300 (and waited 5 months) to chrome plate four taillight trim rings that did not need much hand polishing beforehand. Bumpers for $1400 doesn't sound like a ridiculous quote anymore. 
There are other options if you don't plan to enter your car in the Concours d'Elegance.   Powder coating is nice, but close up you can easily tell the difference.  I spoke with vendor who has done some hydro-dipping for me, and he says there is a new hydro-dip process that looks like chrome and costs a fraction of the real thing.  Might want to look into that locally.