Re: Rechroming, anyone know of reasonable place?

Legacy yahoo archive through 2019. Please don't post new topics here.

Moderator: forumadmin

Kurt

Post by Kurt »

I hear that.  I m in California and trying to get something chromed is expensive and shops are hard to come by.  EPA has shut down all 4 shops that I have used over the years.  
Yes- - Chrome Powder Coating    I did some parts this myself with a toaster oven, just some small parts and not half bad.  You can do translucent colors over the top if you want more of Anodized look as well.  It will never take the place of true chrome plating but it s a close second and a bumper would be closer to a 10th of that price to get sprayed at a professional shop.  

On May 8, 2019, at 5:16 PM, karlmunson@... [2cylinderhondas] wrote:

Chrome plating is a dying art - very few vendors anymore due to environmental concerns (chrome plating uses all sorts of nasty chemicals) and skilled manual labor to polish and prep.  Last year I paid $300 (and waited 5 months) to chrome plate four taillight trim rings that did not need much hand polishing beforehand. Bumpers for $1400 doesn't sound like a ridiculous quote anymore. 
There are other options if you don't plan to enter your car in the Concours d'Elegance.   Powder coating is nice, but close up you can easily tell the difference.  I spoke with vendor who has done some hydro-dipping for me, and he says there is a new hydro-dip process that looks like chrome and costs a fraction of the real thing.  Might want to look into that locally.     
art Remai

Post by art Remai »

Just did my JDM bumpers,small front grill and a few other small parts for $650 at El Monte plating. Again, a dying art as he is closing his doors for good due to environmental and government concerns.
Quote was $200 each bumper.

Sent from my iPhone

Chrome plating is a dying art - very few vendors anymore due to environmental concerns (chrome plating uses all sorts of nasty chemicals) and skilled manual labor to polish and prep.  Last year I paid $300 (and waited 5 months) to chrome plate four taillight trim rings that did not need much hand polishing beforehand. Bumpers for $1400 doesn't sound like a ridiculous quote anymore. 
There are other options if you don't plan to enter your car in the Concours d'Elegance.   Powder coating is nice, but close up you can easily tell the difference.  I spoke with vendor who has done some hydro-dipping for me, and he says there is a new hydro-dip process that looks like chrome and costs a fraction of the real thing.  Might want to look into that locally.     
Thomas Allen

Post by Thomas Allen »

Do you have the name of the shop in El Monte?

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 7:44 PM, art Remai artremai@... [2cylinderhondas] wrote:  
Just did my JDM bumpers,small front grill and a few other small parts for $650 at El Monte plating. Again, a dying art as he is closing his doors for good due to environmental and government concerns.
Quote was $200 each bumper..

Sent from my iPhone

#ygrps-yiv-503561885
art Remai

Post by art Remai »

El Monte plating was the name, not sure if he packed up and closed shop yet. I got all of my chrome done a few weeks ago. 
Steve was the guy, he chromed serial number 1.
Sent from my iPhone
On May 9, 2019, at 6:27 AM, Thomas Allen teallen03@... [2cylinderhondas] wrote:

Sent from my iPhone

art Remai

Post by art Remai »

Thanks Bill, my chrome work was finally done, I guess I got in at a good time and it was meant to be before he shut down.
Amazing how the shops are gone and how they were targeted, sad. There was another one here in Upland California that was shut down, not sure what the reason, but it had an eviction or some sort of letter posted on the front door a while back.
A dying industry for sure.

Sent from my iPhone
On May 9, 2019, at 9:21 PM, art Remai artremai@... [2cylinderhondas] wrote:

El Monte plating was the name, not sure if he packed up and closed shop yet. I got all of my chrome done a few weeks ago. 
Steve was the guy, he chromed serial number 1.
Sent from my iPhone
On May 9, 2019, at 6:27 AM, Thomas Allen teallen03@... [2cylinderhondas] wrote:

Sent from my iPhone