Re: Engine idle issue...carb?

Legacy yahoo archive through 2019. Please don't post new topics here.

Moderator: forumadmin

jydresto

Engine idle issue...carb?

Post by jydresto »

Hi group,

My z600 seems to run nice at 1500 rpm....when i can get it to stay there. When i come to a stop sign it drops down to 300 rpm or just stalls out. The air fuel mixture screw is rurned 1 and a half turns out. I changed a leaky diaphragm last year. That seems fine and when i pulled the float bowl off, there was no debris. Could it be clogged someplace else...or is it another issue thats not in the carb?
Please help
John
Phoenixville, Pa
Miles Chappell

Post by Miles Chappell »

Under the rubber plug in the carb float bowl there is the idle jet. Remove the 2 jets on the steel clip then the rubber plug then unscrew the idle jet. Fray out a bicycle shifter cable to get 1 strand, use the single strand to clean the jet. Your car should idle at 1200 RPM but can normally be reduced to 900 before it would try to die. Canned air works OK for cleaning small parts if you don't have compressed air. Canned air originally used for cleaning computer keyboards/parts etc has found a place in my locksmith van for many cleaning uses.   If it dies coming to a stop then it could be a brake booster problem. Plug the vacuum hose going to the brake booster then drive it.   Miles    
Bill

Post by Bill »

Attachments :All of the attached (RED Circled items) should be looked at to see if they are hard, cracked or broken when cleaning your carb.  Contact me for the complete kit.  Bill    From: anzhonda600owners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:anzhonda600owners@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2019 2:00 AM
To: anzhonda600owners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [anzhonda600owners] Re: Engine idle issue...carb?     Under the rubber plug in the carb float bowl there is the idle jet. Remove the 2 jets on the steel clipthen the rubber plug then unscrew the idle jet. Fray out a bicycle shifter cable to get 1 strand, use the single strand to clean the jet.Your car should idle at 1200 RPM but can normally be reduced to 900 before it would try to die. Canned air works OK for cleaning small parts if you don't have compressed air. Canned air originally used for cleaning computer keyboards/parts etchas found a place in my locksmith van for many cleaning uses.  If it dies coming to a stop then it could be a brake booster problem.Plug the vacuum hose going to the brake booster then drive it.  Miles  
Bill

Post by Bill »

Attachments :
  1. Dental root canal hand drills-10273.jpg
I like Dental Root Canal hand drills.  Miles is correct that the slow jet and the other two long jets should all be cleaned.  The crappy alcohol laced fuel we have to use causes a snot like substance to form around them slowing the flow.  But the throttle shaft seals can also cause vacuum problems.  And ignition point gap fluctuation can cause the engine timing to retard.  Bill    From: anzhonda600owners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:anzhonda600owners@yahoogroups.com]
Subject: [anzhonda600owners] Re: Engine idle issue...carb?     Under the rubber plug in the carb float bowl there is the idle jet. Remove the 2 jets on the steel clipthen the rubber plug then unscrew the idle jet. Fray out a bicycle shifter cable to get 1 strand, use the single strand to clean the jet.Your car should idle at 1200 RPM but can normally be reduced to 900 before it would try to die. Canned air works OK for cleaning small parts if you don't have compressed air. Canned air originally used for cleaning computer keyboards/parts etchas found a place in my locksmith van for many cleaning uses.  If it dies coming to a stop then it could be a brake booster problem.Plug the vacuum hose going to the brake booster then drive it.  Miles  
JOHN BURKHIMER

Re: Engine idle issue...carb? [1 Attachment]

Post by JOHN BURKHIMER »

Interesting - it does seem the timing is off at times. Ihave a spare set if points i can put in.  What is the gap?

Sent from my iPhone
On Jul 8, 2019, at 10:52 AM, 'Bill' billmyong@... [anzhonda600owners] wrote:

I like Dental Root Canal hand drills.  Miles is correct that the slow jet and the other two long jets should all be cleaned.  The crappy alcohol laced fuel we have to use causes a snot like substance to form around them slowing the flow.  But the throttle shaft seals can also cause vacuum problems.  And ignition point gap fluctuation can cause the engine timing to retard.  Bill    From: anzhonda600owners@yahoogroups.com [anzhonda600owners@yahoogroups.com]
Bill

Post by Bill »

Attachments :I set the gap at 15 to 16 thousands. But the breaker plate may have wear causing the points to lose (up or down) from that setting depending on where the rotation is on the breaker plate. See attached.  Bill      From: anzhonda600owners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:anzhonda600owners@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2019 9:17 AM
Subject: Re: [anzhonda600owners] Re: Engine idle issue...carb?    Interesting - it does seem the timing is off at times. Ihave a spare set if points i can put in.  What is the gap?Sent from my iPhone
On Jul 8, 2019, at 10:52 AM, 'Bill' billmyong@... [anzhonda600owners] wrote:
  I like Dental Root Canal hand drills.  Miles is correct that the slow jet and the other two long jets should all be cleaned.  The crappy alcohol laced fuel we have to use causes a snot like substance to form around them slowing the flow.  But the throttle shaft seals can also cause vacuum problems.  And ignition point gap fluctuation can cause the engine timing to retard.  Bill  From: anzhonda600owners@yahoogroups.com [anzhonda600owners@yahoogroups.com]
Subject: [anzhonda600owners] Re: Engine idle issue...carb?    Under the rubber plug in the carb float bowl there is the idle jet. Remove the 2 jets on the steel clipthen the rubber plug then unscrew the idle jet. Fray out a bicycle shifter cable to get 1 strand, use the single strand to clean the jet.Your car should idle at 1200 RPM but can normally be reduced to 900 before it would try to die. Canned air works OK for cleaning small parts if you don't have compressed air. Canned air originally used for cleaning computer keyboards/parts etchas found a place in my locksmith van for many cleaning uses.  If it dies coming to a stop then it could be a brake booster problem.Plug the vacuum hose going to the brake booster then drive it.  Miles  
JOHN BURKHIMER

Post by JOHN BURKHIMER »

Hey guys- i removed the float bowl and the rubber cap miles spoke of.  Looks like 3 jets are there and 2 that can be removed....however, i turn the screws and the seem to just turn and turn and never come out....ideas please?Thanks

Sent from my iPhone
On Jul 8, 2019, at 3:24 PM, 'Bill' billmyong@... [anzhonda600owners] wrote:

I set the gap at 15 to 16 thousands.  But the breaker plate may have wear causing the points to lose (up or down) from that setting depending on where the rotation is on the breaker plate..  See attached.  Bill      From: anzhonda600owners@yahoogroups.com [anzhonda600owners@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2019 9:17 AM
Subject: Re: [anzhonda600owners] Re: Engine idle issue...carb?    Interesting - it does seem the timing is off at times. Ihave a spare set if points i can put in.  What is the gap?Sent from my iPhone
On Jul 8, 2019, at 10:52 AM, 'Bill' billmyong@... [anzhonda600owners] wrote:  I like Dental Root Canal hand drills.  Miles is correct that the slow jet and the other two long jets should all be cleaned.  The crappy alcohol laced fuel we have to use causes a snot like substance to form around them slowing the flow.  But the throttle shaft seals can also cause vacuum problems.  And ignition point gap fluctuation can cause the engine timing to retard.  Bill  From: anzhonda600owners@yahoogroups..com [anzhonda600owners@yahoogroups.com]
Subject: [anzhonda600owners] Re: Engine idle issue...carb?    Under the rubber plug in the carb float bowl there is the idle jet. Remove the 2 jets on the steel clipthen the rubber plug then unscrew the idle jet. Fray out a bicycle shifter cable to get 1 strand, use the single strand to clean the jet.Your car should idle at 1200 RPM but can normally be reduced to 900 before it would try to die. Canned air works OK for cleaning small parts if you don't have compressed air. Canned air originally used for cleaning computer keyboards/parts etchas found a place in my locksmith van for many cleaning uses.  If it dies coming to a stop then it could be a brake booster problem.Plug the vacuum hose going to the brake booster then drive it.  Miles