Re: [2cylinderhondas] Re: Has anyone taken a crankshaft apart?

Legacy yahoo archive through 2019. Please don't post new topics here.

Moderator: forumadmin

Bill

Re: [2cylinderhondas] Re: Has anyone taken a crankshaft apart?

Post by Bill »

Attachments :But Dale; The inner bearings are normally shot too as that is where the oil flow starts for the crank shaft. I too used a motor cycle machine shop to pull the crank shaft apart and after going through 8 assemblies only one had usable cages and the rollers weren t all out of shape. (the rollers were stuck in one spot causing flat areas). And, Honda used 10 different sizes of bearing rollers. The journals were tore up along with the rods, but yes they would go back together and run, but no assurances for how long.  Bill  From: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com [mailto:2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 12:07 PM
To: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [2cylinderhondas] Re: Has anyone taken a crankshaft apart?    Here is what I used to do... ..  I would have crankshafts which had too much freeplay on the left connecting rod and another crank with too much freeplay on the right conn rod and have the bad sections pressed off and then the two good sections pressed back on to make one usable crank.  It wasn't a rebuilt or a new crank,  it was just a used crank which would work.   I thought I might have some balance problems since I was not having the reassembled crank balanced  (the shop doing my work did not perform this task) but I never noticed any problems..  Maybe I was lucky.   I was able to create 6 usable cranks this way which were all put into service.A place which does machine work for motorcycles would be able to help you.  If you are trying to rebuild a crank,  you have several  obstacles to overcome;  1)  there are not rebuild kits for these cranks.  You are going to need to locate the needle bearings and seals.2)  Honda used to sell oversize piston pins for the top end of the connecting rod..... these are no longer made.  You are going to need to bring back both ends of the connecting rods to the correct diameter. 3)  Where the connecting rod connects to the crankpin,  you have an aluminum cage and needle bearings.  If you used oversize bearings, you would need to make a special cage to accommodate the bearings.  If you go with stock size,  you need to verify the cage doesn't have excessive wear.  I have heard people suggest replacing the bearings with a sleeve bearing (like most passenger cars)  but that might only be good if you are using the car for show since the oil system for these cars was designed for needle bearings.  Do you need a cage?  I noticed on older Evinrude outboard boats motors,  they use needle bearings at the crank and piston end of the conn rod and do not use a cage... the bearings float.  And that is on a 115 hp engine (4 cylinders, 2 stroke) running at 5000 rpm.4)  If you crank is showing any rust or pitting on the journals,  that will need repair.5)  you also have the two bearing assemblies on each end which need to be checked and may need rebuilding.6)  When you press apart the crank pieces,  you will find the sections have splines.  If your crank was clean (not rusty),  the pieces will go back together if you use care and some alignment method (e.g. precision v-blocks). Attempting to rebuild one crankshaft can be time-consuming and expensive.   When I used to buy the new  cranks from Honda,  they rose in price from $150 to $1500 in the span of time from 1975 to 1990.  At the end,  they really wanted you to buy a new car.  Gee,  in 1975, I could buy a piston kit from Honda for $25 which contained 2 pistons, 2 sets of rings & retainers, and 2 wrist pins and I had a choice of 5 piston diameters.   At least computers are cheap now.  good luck,Dale      -----Original Message-----
To: 2cylinderhondas
Sent: Mon, May 13, 2019 6:01 pm
Subject: [2cylinderhondas] Re: Has anyone taken a crankshaft apart?  You cannot reassemble the crankshaft if you remove move than just one end or the other (unless you get it done by an experienced motorcycle mechanic/shop who have knowhow & equip) due to the precision required to realign the one end you removed, even though it has fine splines.  If the center bearings are worn the rod bearings will be flogged out, so bin it.  Even doing just one end, you need Vee blocks and a dial gauge to align it - or the crank will bind, or lock up when fitted.