something else.. N600 engine

Legacy yahoo archive through 2019. Please don't post new topics here.

Moderator: forumadmin

zinc2u

something else.. N600 engine

Post by zinc2u »

Something else I just remembered ...... if you get the 1970 vintage N600 engine with the non-synchro tranny, it had a speedometer gear (in the reverse gear cover) which is different than every other model sold in the US.  If you use this in your Z600 or later model N600,  the speed is wrong on the speedometer.   If you find the engine for sale at $150 is this early vintage,  that can still be a good price.  Pull of the valve cover and look at the camshaft and rocker arms.  A set of good rocker arms and camshaft,  plus end cap bearings alone are worth $150.   good luck, Dale   In a message dated 4/25/2015 3:25:18 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, anzhonda600owners@yahoogroups.com writes:

If you don't already have lots of parts for your car,  the price of $150 is a good deal provided the engine doesn't look like it has been submerged in water for any period of time.   Is it the same engine?  Sort of.  You can make either engine work in either series of car.  Depending on the vintage of the N600 engine, it may be easier to make the swap.  Take a look at the parts catalogs (click here) to spot the differences based on the engine serial numbers.  While it will work,  the engine you probably want to avoid is the early style with the non-synchro transmission (the serial number starts with N150 .... verify in the catalogs).  The better stuff is N250.....   Some of the big differences which affect the installation are;   1) heat exchanger and exhaust system 2) valve cover port (the valve cover and camshaft housing were different between N & Z) 3) cooling fan 4) intake manifold and carb (if you get the early style carb with the diaphragm) 5) Z engine had a mechanical tach off camshaft housing which was absent in N600   I have used N600 engines in a Z600.  And you can always put the mechanical tach assy on the N600 engine or add an electronic tach.  From a purist point of view,  when you look at both,  someone will spot the different valve cover appearance.   good luck, Dale     hi, i have a Honda Z600 that i need a motor for. I have a lead on an N600. Im wondering if its the same engine as the Z? The car has been sitting and the person that has it doesnt even know if it will turn over. If it does is it worth $150? Not to many of these cars in the middle of the country.  thanks, Tim