Re: Excessive Crankshaft End Play

Legacy yahoo archive through 2019. Please don't post new topics here.

Moderator: forumadmin

John

Excessive Crankshaft End Play

Post by John »

I was looking at the engine (running) of another early sedan the other day and noticed that its alternator drive pulley was moving out approximately 1/8" during acceleration. Upon stopping the engine, I reached down to see if the pulley mounting bolt was loose (it wasn't) and I could physically pull the crankshaft toward the alternator side. My understanding is that our engines are running with the crankshaft rigidly fixed by its bearings (end play should be nil).

Anyone have an idea what the problem could be? I was told that this engine could have been rebuilt some years ago.

Thanks,

John
twincarb600

Post by twincarb600 »

Sounds like you are missing the 25mm washer that is on the front drive chain sprocket on the other end of crankshaft.

Robert
--- In anzhonda600owners@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote:
>
> I was looking at the engine (running) of another early sedan the other day and noticed that its alternator drive pulley was moving out approximately 1/8" during acceleration. Upon stopping the engine, I reached down to see if the pulley mounting bolt was loose (it wasn't) and I could physically pull the crankshaft toward the alternator side. My understanding is that our engines are running with the crankshaft rigidly fixed by its bearings (end play should be nil).
>
> Anyone have an idea what the problem could be? I was told that this engine could have been rebuilt some years ago.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>
jbrown_47

Excessive Crankshaft End Play

Post by jbrown_47 »

Hi All,

I can grasp the crankshaft pulley on my 1970 Sedan and move it about .250 inches.  I suspect a spacer or thrust washer was left out at a previous rebuild.

Can anyone tell me what component might be missing to cause this?

Thanks,

John
Bill

Post by Bill »

John;  Does the bolt at the center move along with the pulley wheel?    From: anzhonda600owners@yahoogroups.com [mailto: anzhonda600owners@yahoogroups.com ]
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 8:59 PM
To: anzhonda600owners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [anzhonda600owners] Excessive Crankshaft End Play    
Hi All,

I can grasp the crankshaft pulley on my 1970 Sedan and move it about .250 inches.  I suspect a spacer or thrust washer was left out at a previous rebuild.

Can anyone tell me what component might be missing to cause this?

Thanks,

John