Re: How does this work?

Legacy yahoo archive through 2019. Please don't post new topics here.

Moderator: forumadmin

Robert Smith

How does this work?

Post by Robert Smith »

I recently joined the group.  I got an email saying I was accepted. I want to search the conversations to see if the subject of scooter tires has been discussed.  When I tried to search at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/2cylinderhondas/info by using the rectangle at the top that says "Search Conversations" I got an error message saying I could not search because I am not a member.  I was logged in to Yahoo at the time.  The email also said I could register at Convact and get better service but when I followed the link to Convact there was no way to register. How do I search the conversations?   
feltonminicycle

Post by feltonminicycle »

Works for me: Type in scooter tires but unfortunately it splits up the question and I get lots of responses for scooter tubes. Here's your results: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/2cylinderhondas/search/messages?query=scooter%20tires
dusty path

Post by dusty path »

Camac | 145R10Looking for the perfect radial replacement tire for your 1959 through 1968 Mini Cooper? This is it, and it s aff...

On Tuesday, June 25, 2019, 06:10:53 PM MDT, z600miles@... [2cylinderhondas] wrote:

Works for me: Type in scooter tires but unfortunately it splits up the question and I get lots of responses for scooter tubes. Here's your results: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/2cylinderhondas/search/messages?query=scooter%20tires

#ygrps-yiv-1153714283
art Remai

Post by art Remai »

Go here:
https://www.7ent.com/categories/wheels-tires/tires.html
Don t buy junk tires, not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone
On Jun 26, 2019, at 5:34 AM, dusty path dustyspath@... [2cylinderhondas] wrote:

scooter tires will not  work  why buy scooter  tires im at a  loss u can buy 4  tires for 288 free shipping  on ebay  or u can buy the tires   here 
Camac | 145R10       I have  7,000 miles on mine  there still  working  good 
Camac | 145R10Looking for the perfect radial replacement tire for your 1959 through 1968 Mini Cooper? This is it, and it s aff...

On Tuesday, June 25, 2019, 06:10:53 PM MDT, z600miles@... [2cylinderhondas] wrote:

Chuck Dean

Post by Chuck Dean »

Looks like some good deals on good tires.I bought 5 of the 165 by 10Yokohama  tires from Tire Rack. A good tire, but a warning. The wider tire will not fit in the Honda 600 Coupe's spare tire well.I asked the guy installing the tire at discount Tire to put one of the old 145s back on but he said he couldn't.I drove around until I found a small independent tire store where nobody spoke much English and got them to put on the 145 for 10 bucks.  

Chuck  (mobile)Pleez x cuze enny tie ping or spelin air ores.
Our 1972 Honda 600 Coupe
Our 1961 Vespa 400
On Jun 26, 2019, at 7:20 AM, art Remai artremai@... [2cylinderhondas] wrote:

Go here:
https://www.7ent.com/categories/wheels-tires/tires.html
Don t buy junk tires, not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone
On Jun 26, 2019, at 5:34 AM, dusty path dustyspath@... [2cylinderhondas] wrote:

scooter tires will not  work  why buy scooter  tires im at a  loss u can buy 4  tires for 288 free shipping  on ebay  or u can buy the tires   here 

Robert Smith

Post by Robert Smith »

I recently joined the group and I am not sure how messaging works.  I have a question so I am just going to ask it and see what happens.  I built a landsailer and it uses 145R10 tires.  Originally, it used 8 inch bias-ply boat trailer tires but I wanted to use radials.  I bought a pair of wheels from a Z600, cut the center out, and welded the centers from boat trailer wheels to the Z600 rims to create wheels with the diameter, offset, and lug bolt pattern that I need.  The tires are about 12 years old now and hard and slippery.  New tires in that size are very expensive so I wonder if 10 inch scooter tires will work since they cost about 1/2 as much.   The landsailer only weighs about 180 pounds so the scooter tires will not be overloaded.  My main concern is the bead seat area; is it the same on the scooter wheel as it is on the car wheel?  Google and I have not been able to find the answer.  I want to stay with tubeless tires to keep rolling resistance low but I don't want to peel a tire off at high speed because of a poor seal at the bead.  The faster a landsailer  goes, the higher the side load on the tire.   A few years ago, I saw a listing on the Barrett-Jackson auction website that showed many high-resolution pictures of a restored Z600 with scooter tires on the original wheels, so I know they will fit and hold air and they will support the car while it sits for pictures.  I don't know what would happen when the car is driven or, more to the point, if they would be safe on my landsailer.  I figure this is the place to ask if anybody has used scooter tires on their cars and lived to tell the tale.  
On Wednesday, June 26, 2019, 07:34:23 AM CDT, dusty path dustyspath@... [2cylinderhondas] wrote:

#ygrps-yiv-713206127
Robert Smith

Post by Robert Smith »

For those of you who are not familiar with landsailing, here is a good introductory video.  https://www.opb.org/television/programs/ofg/segment/landsailing/
On Thursday, June 27, 2019, 08:47:56 AM CDT, Robert Smith emod22@... [2cylinderhondas] wrote:

I recently joined the group and I am not sure how messaging works.  I have a question so I am just going to ask it and see what happens.  I built a landsailer and it uses 145R10 tires.  Originally, it used 8 inch bias-ply boat trailer tires but I wanted to use radials.  I bought a pair of wheels from a Z600, cut the center out, and welded the centers from boat trailer wheels to the Z600 rims to create wheels with the diameter, offset, and lug bolt pattern that I need.  The tires are about 12 years old now and hard and slippery.  New tires in that size are very expensive so I wonder if 10 inch scooter tires will work since they cost about 1/2 as much.   The landsailer only weighs about 180 pounds so the scooter tires will not be overloaded.  My main concern is the bead seat area; is it the same on the scooter wheel as it is on the car wheel?  Google and I have not been able to find the answer.  I want to stay with tubeless tires to keep rolling resistance low but I don't want to peel a tire off at high speed because of a poor seal at the bead.  The faster a landsailer  goes, the higher the side load on the tire.   A few years ago, I saw a listing on the Barrett-Jackson auction website that showed many high-resolution pictures of a restored Z600 with scooter tires on the original wheels, so I know they will fit and hold air and they will support the car while it sits for pictures..  I don't know what would happen when the car is driven or, more to the point, if they would be safe on my landsailer.  I figure this is the place to ask if anybody has used scooter tires on their cars and lived to tell the tale.  
On Wednesday, June 26, 2019, 07:34:23 AM CDT, dusty path dustyspath@... [2cylinderhondas] wrote:

#ygrps-yiv-2005324122
rstevens19

Post by rstevens19 »

Mr. Smith,   I owned a new Z600 back in the day, 1972. All Z600 Hondas were delivered with radial tires with tubes. When I wore out the original Bridgstones I replaced them with Michelins. The tires were again installed with radial tubes. I understood, back then, that tubes were required because the wheels are NOT safety rims. Also, I agree with others that scooter tires are inappropriate as they are designed to transfer side loads via leaning rather than shear as automotive tires are designed. Also, scooter tires have a rounded profile to accommodate leaning which reduces road contact. Car tires have a flat profile to maximize road contact.   Hope this helps, RS   From: Robert Smith emod22@... [2cylinderhondas] Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2019 9:45 AM To: dusty path dustyspath@... [2cylinderhondas] Subject: Re: [2cylinderhondas] Re: How does this work?    
I recently joined the group and I am not sure how messaging works.  I have a question so I am just going to ask it and see what happens.  I built a landsailer and it uses 145R10 tires.  Originally, it used 8 inch bias-ply boat trailer tires but I wanted to use radials.  I bought a pair of wheels from a Z600, cut the center out, and welded the centers from boat trailer wheels to the Z600 rims to create wheels with the diameter, offset, and lug bolt pattern that I need.  The tires are about 12 years old now and hard and slippery.  New tires in that size are very expensive so I wonder if 10 inch scooter tires will work since they cost about 1/2 as much.   The landsailer only weighs about 180 pounds so the scooter tires will not be overloaded.  My main concern is the bead seat area; is it the same on the scooter wheel as it is on the car wheel? Google and I have not been able to find the answer.  I want to stay with tubeless tires to keep rolling resistance low but I don't want to peel a tire off at high speed because of a poor seal at the bead.  The faster a landsailer  goes, the higher the side load on the tire.   A few years ago, I saw a listing on the Barrett-Jackson auction website that showed many high-resolution pictures of a restored Z600 with scooter tires on the original wheels, so I know they will fit and hold air and they will support the car while it sits for pictures..  I don't know what would happen when the car is driven or, more to the point, if they would be safe on my landsailer.  I figure this is the place to ask if anybody has used scooter tires on their cars and lived to tell the tale.    On Wednesday, June 26, 2019, 07:34:23 AM CDT, dusty path dustyspath@... [2cylinderhondas] wrote:       scooter tires will not  work  why buy scooter  tires im at a  loss u can buy 4  tires for 288 free shipping  on ebay  or u can buy the tires   here
Camac | 145R10       I have  7,000 miles on mine  there still  working  good   Camac | 145R10 Looking for the perfect radial replacement tire for your 1959 through 1968 Mini Cooper? This is it, and it s aff...         On Tuesday, June 25, 2019, 06:10:53 PM MDT, z600miles@... [2cylinderhondas] wrote:      
Works for me: Type in scooter tires but unfortunately it splits up the question and I get lots of responses for scooter tubes. Here's your results: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/2cylinderhondas/search/messages?query=scooter%20tires    
Image Virus-free. www.avast.com
Don B Laughton

Post by Don B Laughton »

Here is a simple solution. I would imagine that there are people who build land sailors for resale. What do they recommend for tires. Having aTire fail at speed has got to be a serious product liability concern. They should have a safe recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone
On Jun 27, 2019, at 6:57 AM, Robert Smith emod22@... [2cylinderhondas] wrote:

For those of you who are not familiar with landsailing, here is a good introductory video.  https://www.opb.org/television/programs/ofg/segment/landsailing/
On Thursday, June 27, 2019, 08:47:56 AM CDT, Robert Smith emod22@... [2cylinderhondas] wrote:

I recently joined the group and I am not sure how messaging works.  I have a question so I am just going to ask it and see what happens.  I built a landsailer and it uses 145R10 tires.  Originally, it used 8 inch bias-ply boat trailer tires but I wanted to use radials.  I bought a pair of wheels from a Z600, cut the center out, and welded the centers from boat trailer wheels to the Z600 rims to create wheels with the diameter, offset, and lug bolt pattern that I need.  The tires are about 12 years old now and hard and slippery.  New tires in that size are very expensive so I wonder if 10 inch scooter tires will work since they cost about 1/2 as much.   The landsailer only weighs about 180 pounds so the scooter tires will not be overloaded.  My main concern is the bead seat area; is it the same on the scooter wheel as it is on the car wheel?  Google and I have not been able to find the answer.  I want to stay with tubeless tires to keep rolling resistance low but I don't want to peel a tire off at high speed because of a poor seal at the bead.  The faster a landsailer  goes, the higher the side load on the tire.   A few years ago, I saw a listing on the Barrett-Jackson auction website that showed many high-resolution pictures of a restored Z600 with scooter tires on the original wheels, so I know they will fit and hold air and they will support the car while it sits for pictures...  I don't know what would happen when the car is driven or, more to the point, if they would be safe on my landsailer.  I figure this is the place to ask if anybody has used scooter tires on their cars and lived to tell the tale.  

Robert Smith

Post by Robert Smith »

There are very few factory-made landsailers and none that I know of that use 10 inch car wheels or 10 inch scooter wheels.That reminds me; what is the rim width of a Z600 wheel.  I would need that dimension to choose an appropriate scooter tire.  I don't know if this message is going to one person or the whole group.  I tried "reply on web page" but I got the error message saying I need to be a member of the group.  AFAIK I am a new member.  I am logged in to Yahoo.  Do I need to do something else?  How does this work?