Re: Roller bearing camshaft available now.

Legacy yahoo archive through 2019. Please don't post new topics here.

Moderator: forumadmin

tgm_enterprizes

Roller bearing camshaft available now.

Post by tgm_enterprizes »

I can hopefully upload a picture for you guys. What I have done is replaced the undoubtably worn plain aluminum bushings the ends of the cam originally ran in with high speed needle roller bearings. I also machine the ends of the camshaft in order to place the inner races on the camshaft. The former aluminum bushings are milled out on my CNC mill on a special jig I had to make. (This process is usually referred to as align boring ). Anyway, the cam is machined on my manual lathe as well. It takes me a full day of labor to set everything up and start machining the modifications.
The down side here is that all the parts (bearings, tooling, jigs, and equipment upgrades needed) have made this a little more expensive than I wanted.
I will sell a modified camshaft, both ends of the bearing supports (an empty distributor housing with a brand new seal in it as well as the other end with (coupe has tach drive end, sedan doesn t). Currently, I am waiting to get the sedan non tach drive ends, but I have a standard cam that can be used on either car (let me know what you want, sedans don t have ability to use a tach drive). So I am only providing the coupe cams modified.
Here s the bottom line. I am asking $350 for the 3 parts needed to do this. All you have to do is swap the cam out and the modified bearing holders. I do strongly suggest you put a fresh chain in at the time you upgrade.
Also, you can get all the parts you need (end housing gaskets are a must) from Mike O Conner. He also has a couple of these cam sets in hand ready to go.
I am now in process of making the upper and lower cam chain tensioners that will keep your camchain going for many more years.
While you are bound to gain a few hotspot by switching to the roller bearing cam, also realize that these bearings are going to help reduce temperatures in a critical area. Same thing on the chain tensioners. They are both roller bearing parts. So, anything that stabilizes timing and potentially lowers temp is a win-win situation. As soon as I have those parts ready, I will advise availability and cost.
Now, there has already been a number of folks that want you to believe this is all a bad idea. Remember, it s your car, your decision. Obviously, it s not going to be for everyone.
I also wanted to mention that I have a Hawaiian Cam (reground cam). I have one going into a hi-compression (10.5:1 CR) engine with a massive overbore. Hopefully, I will get it going and maybe get some decent dyno numbers on it. I think that the Hawaiian cam is going to be on the roller cam menu very soon!
Again, Mike O Conner has been instrumental in helping me obtain all these really special parts. So if you want a special Honda engine built, he s the guy you need to talk to.

Please contact me via this email for the Roller Cam Setup.
tgm_enterprizes@...

Now I need to figure out how to post a picture here. Hmmm
Richard Morris
tgm_enterprizes

Re: Roller bearing camshaft available now.

Post by tgm_enterprizes »

Well look for pictures in the pictures area. I have a 14 second video I can send to you that shows the cam spinning in the bearings for multiple revolutions. Pretty impressive! Just let me know if you want it (was too large for the photo area)...

Also, I am only going to post this message on this group. Seems like for years, I duplicated them on both sites (since 2003).
Have fun guys!
Richard