Re: Flat towing N600

Legacy yahoo archive through 2019. Please don't post new topics here.

Moderator: forumadmin

galerep54630

Flat towing N600

Post by galerep54630 »

Anybody know if it is safe to flat tow (all four wheels down) an N600 over long distances with no damage to the transmission? We'd like to pull it behind our RV. I've read recent articles that claim some cars suffer transmission damage because transmission oil doesn't lube the gears and things overheat while being towed. I'm wondering if towing the N600 with transmission in neutral would be safe. Thanks. John 

dusty path

Post by dusty path »

I have pulled my car  as it had a tow bar on it  but only in town. and that's for automatic  not stick shift  but its real bad on tires  but what I would do it a dolly  just for the front  tires  or just buy a little trailer  there very cheap

On Saturday, November 11, 2017 4:20 PM, "jgraf@... [2cylinderhondas]" wrote:

Anybody know if it is safe to flat tow (all four wheels down) an N600 over long distances with no damage to the transmission? We'd like to pull it behind our RV. I've read recent articles that claim some cars suffer transmission damage because transmission oil doesn't lube the gears and things overheat while being towed. I'm wondering if towing the N600 with transmission in neutral would be safe. Thanks. John 

#ygrps-yiv-1387277329
rstevens19

Post by rstevens19 »

Hi John,   I did a little analysis on the 600 lubrication system and I have concluded that the transmission is primarily lubricated through splash activity from the differential ring gear.  The remaining lubrication is through the drain-down and splash from the engine lube system. Keeping that in mind during a long distance tow, the reverse gears would suffer inadequate lubrication (they are outside the internal gear cavity) without the engine running while the internal gears of the main and countershafts would probably be good. Bottom line USE A DOLLY or TRAILER.  My two cents worth, hope it helps.  Richard S.   From: jgraf@... [2cylinderhondas] Sent: Saturday, November 11, 2017 6:19 PM To: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com Subject: [2cylinderhondas] Flat towing N600    

Image This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com
Bill Colford

Post by Bill Colford »

The reverse gear is in the sump just like the top of the other gears.  It s all splash.  I have towed cars many times on all 4 s and not had any problems as long as the tires are good and steering locked in the right direction. Bill
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Nov 12, 2017 9:47 AM
To: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [2cylinderhondas] Flat towing N600

Hi John,   I did a little analysis on the 600 lubrication system and I have concluded that the transmission is primarily lubricated through splash activity from the differential ring gear.  The remaining lubrication is through the drain-down and splash from the engine lube system. Keeping that in mind during a long distance tow, the reverse gears would suffer inadequate lubrication (they are outside the internal gear cavity) without the engine running while the internal gears of the main and countershafts would probably be good. Bottom line USE A DOLLY or TRAILER.  My two cents worth, hope it helps.  Richard S.   From: jgraf@... [2cylinderhondas] Sent: Saturday, November 11, 2017 6:19 PM To: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com Subject: [2cylinderhondas] Flat towing N600    

Image This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com
dusty path

Post by dusty path »

also if u just leave  the key in  the  steering wheel will not be  locked u don't have  to have the key on  just in  and the lock will  not be in gauged  that's how I pulled  my  car  but as I have said  it was only in town  did not hurt the transmission    as I just had my engine all apart  to rebuild. the transmission  was fine and I made a tow bar  for the bumper  but  I had to drill out  the bumper holes were it mounts  so that maybe the fun part  is having someone make a  tow bar for u  to mount

#ygrps-yiv-1329668477
J Graf

Post by J Graf »

Thanks for the comments. I learned a lot more about flat towing issues from this group. I appreciate the input. John
dm600z

Post by dm600z »

If you look in the owner's manual it has a section about towing with all the wheels on the ground.  As Bill stated,   it is okay to do and unlock the steering wheel.  The downside of towing without a trailer is the extra wear and tear on the car (tires & suspension).   Dale   PS   the owner's manual is available online  

dusty path

Post by dusty path »

Honda 600 Coupe and Sedan Manuals, Bulletins, Advertisements If you own a Honda 600 Coupe or Sedan, here you will find virtually every manual, catalog and techni...

#ygrps-yiv-183003759