Re: The two small bolts at the front of the Master Cylinder

Legacy yahoo archive through 2019. Please don't post new topics here.

Moderator: forumadmin

tloch220

The two small bolts at the front of the Master Cylinder

Post by tloch220 »

Hi,

I have two questions about the two small bolts and copper washers at the front of the brake master cylinder.

1. What are they for? And
2. Where can I get them? (Can I source them my thread size?)

Thank you for the assistance. (It is the only thing keeping my Z600 from being readable.)

My best regards,
Thomas
Bill

Post by Bill »

Attachments :
  1. cpar6-08-15715.jpg
If you’re talking about #8 and #9 they hold #6 in place.       From: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com [mailto:2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 5:27 PM
To: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [2cylinderhondas] The two small bolts at the front of the Master Cylinder    
Hi,

I have two questions about the two small bolts and copper washers at the front of the brake master cylinder.

Thank you for the assistance. (It is the only thing keeping my Z600 from being readable.)

My best regards,
Thomas
Dr Bruce Whiting

Post by Dr Bruce Whiting »

Both of the #9s keep the #6 piston from bottoming out in the cylinder. They are 6x1.0mm and about 10mm long. The threads are gone from the end of the bolts about 2mm back from the tip. They act as stoppers to keep some fluid in the end of the cylinder.
Bruce
Bill

Re: The two small bolts at the front of the Master Cylinder [1 Attac

Post by Bill »

Attachments :
  1. Master cylinder keeper bolts-15718.JPG
  1. Master cylinder bleed back holes1-15718.jpg
As I said, it holds the rear brake piston in place.  The ends of the bolts act as pins to keep the piston from moving (see attached picture showing where the bolts are placed at the end of the piston) and causing the bleed back not to work which allow the rear brakes to release.   If the piston cups come out of alignment with the bleed back hole  (see attached picture showing the bleed back hole) the rear brakes will not release when the brakes are applied.   It has nothing to do with keeping fluid in the end of the cylinder as fluid will be there anyway.    From: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com [mailto: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com ]
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 5:53 PM
Cc: tloch220@...
Subject: RE: [2cylinderhondas] The two small bolts at the front of the Master Cylinder [1 Attachment]     If you’re talking about #8 and #9 they hold #6 in place.       From: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com [mailto: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com ]
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 5:27 PM
Subject: [2cylinderhondas] The two small bolts at the front of the Master Cylinder    
Hi,

My best regards,
Thomas
tloch220

Re: The two small bolts at the front of the Master Cylinder [1 Attac

Post by tloch220 »

Brilliant!  Thank you all for the updates.

Where can I buy a set (2 x each or #8 and #9)?

My very best regards,
Thomas
Alaska 1972 Z600
Bill

Post by Bill »

Thomas;  Let me look through my parts bin and see what I have.  I still have a restoration or two in the months to come so the two you saw are already spoken for.    Bill       From: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com [mailto: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com ]
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 3:03 PM
Subject: RE: [2cylinderhondas] The two small bolts at the front of the Master Cylinder    
Brilliant!  Thank you all for the updates.

Where can I buy a set (2 x each or #8 and #9)?

My very best regards,
Thomas
Alaska 1972 Z600