Re: Rack and pinion parts

Legacy yahoo archive through 2019. Please don't post new topics here.

Moderator: forumadmin

Kevin Gailey

Rack and pinion parts

Post by Kevin Gailey »

Does anyway have or have a lead on a rack and pinion guide, springs and washer. Went to rebuild and it was missing.

Thanks, Kevin Gailey

Sacramento
wayne roberts

Post by wayne roberts »

Kevin  You can thank Bill as he sent me the complete diagram a couple of years back and I have sent it to your email. Cheers Wayne J  Auckland  New Zealand.

To: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, 2 September 2016 1:39 PM
Subject: [2cylinderhondas] Rack and pinion parts

Does anyway have or have a lead on a rack and pinion guide, springs and washer. Went to rebuild and it was missing.

Thanks, Kevin Gailey

Sacramento #ygrps-yiv-836472573
alanstanyon

Post by alanstanyon »

Whilst on the subject of racks the black grease in the pinion "C" adjuster cavity isn't grease it's the rubber broken down by the grease over 40 odd years that surrounds the upper and lower bronze bush and  that's were the free play is  in the steering that won't "adjust out", the upper bush does not seem to be affected and it is the same part number as the lower one, it's difficult to see in the parts diagram but if you look carefully the bush has a rubber surface bonded to the bush which keeps it centered. 
Bill

Post by Bill »

Attachments : [img]cid:image003.jpg@01D208D5.0FB0D8B0[/img][img]cid:image004.jpg@01D208D5.0FB0D8B0[/img]   These are NOS pinion bushings, coming out of the bag the rubber is sticky, and pulling away from the bronze bushing it was vulcanized to.  So it’s not the lubricant that is causing the rubber to liquefy causing the steering to be loose, it is rubber degrading over time.  The only thing to do is put in a new bushing.  Both Lyle Trudell craft59@...  and Miles Chappell 600miles600@... make replacements.    Bill   From: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com [mailto: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com ]
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 4:16 AM
Subject: [2cylinderhondas] Re: Rack and pinion parts    
Whilst on the subject of racks the black grease in the pinion "C" adjuster cavity isn't grease it's the rubber broken down by the grease over 40 odd years that surrounds the upper and lower bronze bush and  that's were the free play is  in the steering that won't "adjust out", the upper bush does not seem to be affected and it is the same part number as the lower one, it's difficult to see in the parts diagram but if you look carefully the bush has a rubber surface bonded to the bush which keeps it centered. 
Alan Stanyon

Post by Alan Stanyon »

Attachments :
Chuck Dean

Post by Chuck Dean »

I just installed some bushings I got for miles. They worked perfectly!

Chuck (mobile)Pleez x cuze enny tie ping or spelin air ores.
On Sep 7, 2016, at 6:59 AM, 'Bill' billmyong@... [2cylinderhondas] wrote:

[img]cid:image003.jpg@01D208D5.0FB0D8B0[/img][img]cid:image004.jpg@01D208D5.0FB0D8B0[/img]   These are NOS pinion bushings, coming out of the bag the rubber is sticky, and pulling away from the bronze bushing it was vulcanized to.  So it s not the lubricant that is causing the rubber to liquefy causing the steering to be loose, it is rubber degrading over time.  The only thing to do is put in a new bushing.  Both Lyle Trudell craft59@...  and Miles Chappell 600miles600@... make replacements.    Bill   From: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com [mailto:2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com ]
Subject: [2cylinderhondas] Re: Rack and pinion parts    
Bill

Post by Bill »

Attachments : Alan; I have used NOS pinion bushings before and they worked just fine, but until I opened these (sealed packages) I too was under the impression that lubricants were causing the rubber to breakup.  Seeing these NOS bushings opened my eyes, and what ever you do to replace the space between the bronze bushing and the rack pinion housing will work.  I have used tape wrapped around the cleaned bushings and it worked.    Looking at the labels on the packaging, I would venture to say these were made around the late 80’s, so earlier bushings may be ok.  Remember the soft front sway bar bushings Honda was selling in the early 90’s, they literally fell off the sway bar weeks after they were installed.    Bill       From: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com [mailto: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com ]
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 8:07 AM
Subject: RE: [2cylinderhondas] Re: Rack and pinion parts     Thanks Bill a picture of the real thing! these are unavailable in the UK ! thanks for clearing up my assumptions, i cut a rectangle of silicone rubber and glued it to the cleaned up bush and carefully pressed it in with a smear of silicone grease and it seems successful i think they were originally to help stop vibration coming up through the steering wheel, again correct me if i am wrong. Alan To: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com ; anzhonda600owners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 06:59:49 -0700
Subject: RE: [2cylinderhondas] Re: Rack and pinion parts

[img]cid:image001.jpg@...28F330[/img][img]cid:image002.jpg@...28F330[/img]   These are NOS pinion bushings, coming out of the bag the rubber is sticky, and pulling away from the bronze bushing it was vulcanized to.  So it’s not the lubricant that is causing the rubber to liquefy causing the steering to be loose, it is rubber degrading over time.  The only thing to do is put in a new bushing.  Both Lyle Trudell craft59@...  and Miles Chappell 600miles600@... make replacements.    Bill   From: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com [mailto: 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com ]
Subject: [2cylinderhondas] Re: Rack and pinion parts     Whilst on the subject of racks the black grease in the pinion "C" adjuster cavity isn't grease it's the rubber broken down by the grease over 40 odd years that surrounds the upper and lower bronze bush and  that's were the free play is  in the steering that won't "adjust out", the upper bush does not seem to be affected and it is the same part number as the lower one, it's difficult to see in the parts diagram but if you look carefully the bush has a rubber surface bonded to the bush which keeps it centered.   
wayne roberts

Post by wayne roberts »

Kevin Did you get the guide OK ? Cheers Wayne 

Sent: Friday, 2 September 2016 1:39 PM
Subject: [2cylinderhondas] Rack and pinion parts

Thanks, Kevin Gailey

Sacramento #ygrps-yiv-133919982
POMIER - COHEN

Post by POMIER - COHEN »

Hi Kevin. I probably have the parts you need. I remember having a worn out housing, the internal parts beeing available.
Have to check on my shelves and take a couple of pictures.

Thank you.

Pierre, from France

Message du 02/09/16 03:39
> De : "Kevin Gailey krgailey@... [2cylinderhondas]"
> A : 2cylinderhondas@yahoogroups.com
> Copie :
> Objet : [2cylinderhondas] Rack and pinion parts
>
>
> Does anyway have or have a lead on a rack and pinion guide, springs and washer. Went to rebuild and it was missing.
>
> Thanks, Kevin Gailey
>
> Sacramento